Skip to main content

Reading Diary | January Books | 2018


The first reading diary of 2018, and I hope this year I can make one for each month. Last year, I didn't do one for December because I literally read one book and I felt like one book was not good enough for a whole 'reading diary' post but I've decided that even if I read one or ten, I'll do one. They're my wrap-ups in a way.

Jan, 13th - 21:03. Finished my first book of the year, The Changeling by Victor LaValle, and what a great read it was. It's a story about a father who's about to become a father and how growing up fatherless himself brings him so much pain and anxiety. It's a fairy-tale retelling written deliciously well. My full review is HERE.

Jan, 16th - 21:30. Before starting The Book of Dust I wanted to read the two novellas that Pullman wrote after His Dark Materials. One is Once Upon a Time in the North and it's about Lee, his daemon Hester and Iorek. It's very short and nothing too spectacular but since they feature some of my favourite characters, I was happy reading it.

Jan, 22nd - 13:40. I'm starting finals in less than 5 hours and I just turned the last page of La amiga estupenda de Elena Ferrante. Ferrante has become a renowned author thanks to her Neapolitan quartet and I have to say I do get the hype but I'm not head over heels in love with it. The friendship between the two main characters is super interesting and quite dark; there is always this competitiveness between them. I have a full REVIEW of it if you're interested.

Jan, 28th - 16:15. Finished my fourth and possibly last book of the month. I picked up a fantasy book that I've been meaning to read for a while. Theft of Swords is a bind-up of the first two book in The Riyria Revelations series and I managed to finished The Crown Conspiracy. To be honest, I wasn't super impressed. I enjoyed the read alright and the characters especially but I felt there was no world-building whatsoever and unfortunately most stuff were told in a "info-dumping style," which isn't great. However, I'll continue and read at least the second book and see if the story improves. If not, I'll not continue with the rest.

How was your reading month? Any titles worth mentioning?


DIARIO DE LECTURA.

Enero ha llegado a su fin y os traigo el primer diario de lectura del 2018. Teniendo en cuenta que lo más importante del mes han sido mis finales pues la verdad que la lectura ha pasado a un segundo plano.

13 de enero - 21:03. He terminado The Changeling de Victor LaValle. Tengo una reseña aparte pero está solo en inglés así que a modo de resumen os digo que me ha encantado. Es un libro que te plantea muchas preguntas y no todas obtienen respuesta pero está escrito de un modo fantástico y aunque es un libro con tintes de cuento de hadas (fairytales), al final esos tintes toman más protagonismo y la historia se convierte en un cuento de hadas en toda regla, oscuro y que juega muy bien combinando fantasía y tecnología.

16 de enero - 21:30. Quería haber empezado The Book of Dust (El libro de la oscuridad) de Philip Pullman pero me di cuenta que tenía sin leer dos historias cortas relacionadas con la trilogía de la materia oscura: Once Upon a Time in the North y Lyra's Oxford. Solo he podido leer el primero que va sobre cómo se conocieron Lee y Iorek. No es nada del otro mundo pero es super entretenida y Lee y su daemon Hester me encantan porque son super sarcásticos. Una vez que lea Lyra's Oxford me pondré con The Book of Dust.

22 de enero - 13:40. Acabo de terminar La amiga estupenda de Elena Ferrante a escasas horas de hacer un mi examen de Literatura Canadiense. De este libro sí que hay reseña completa en español (está debajo de la reseña en inglés) y resumiendo, me ha gustado mucho y tengo el segundo libro ya preparado para febrero.

28 de enero - 16:15. Y justo ahora termino de leer The Crown Conspiracy que es el primer libro en la serie de las Riyria Revelations. En total son 6 libros y están agrupados en tres tomos. He leído solo el primero y en general me ha gustado pero tampoco ha sido algo demasiado memorable. Lo único que merece la pena por ahora son los personajes. El mundo no está casi desarrollado y toda la información que nos dan es tipo info-dumping; vamos que es mas contar que enseñar y eso yo es algo que no soporto en la fantasía. De todas formas, voy a leer el segundo libro para acabar el primer tomo y ya después decidiré si leo el resto o lo dejo.

¿Qué tal vuestras lecturas del mes? ¿Algún libro interesante?

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).