Skip to main content

New Year, New Books | Tag


Lucy of Lucy the Reader did a video with Penguin Platform and then I saw Simon's video and I actually liked the idea of the tag and I decided to do it so here we go: 

First read of 2018.
The Changeling by Victor LaValle. This is a story about a father who must overcome his fears and look for his wife once she disappears after seemingly committing a horrible act. I did write a full review of it if you're interested but it was a phenomenal read and one I highly recommend.

Which book you read in 2017 do you want to share with everyone this year?
My plan is to make everybody and their mother read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. That book left me breathless and I still think about it. I'm also planning on rereading it.

What is your reading goal for the year?
No reading goal for this year. I actually set my Goodreads challenge to 1 book. I'll read whenever I can, whatever I want. I feel like since starting this blog and joining bookish social media I felt like I had to read, even when I didn't feel like it for the sake of having read something and sharing it because otherwise, what content would I put out there?
I've decided to make this year (and the next ones to come) about making reading the hobby it used to be. Don't get me wrong. I love reading but I don't want social media dictate my "reading success" if you know what I mean. I just feel very angry when I see people getting anxious because they haven't met their challenge for the year, like it is some sort of failure. This whole thing is making reading feel like a PE class.

Which new author, book or genre would you like to try this year?
I have no clue about how to answer this question. But for the sake of giving an answer I want to read some Russian classics. There are three Russian titles on my shelves that I want to get to eventually but there is no pressure to do so. I'll happen eventually. Maybe not in 2018 but there is still time. The titles are:
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov,
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol, and
Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

Which reading habits would you like to change?
This answer is somewhat related with my whole annoyance with Goodreads but one thing I noticed last year that I kept doing and doing was thinking about a book in rating terms. So, instead of just reading, every time something happened in the story, whether I liked it or not, my brain will go "oh, this just lowers the rating!" or "could this be a 5 star read?" I joined Goodreads in 2014 I believe and it is only last year when I noticed I was doing that. I felt almost disgusted with myself.

Most anticipated release this year?
There are a few. One that is coming this week is The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar but if I have to name one I just cannot wait to have in my hands that will be, without a doubt, Circe by Madeline Miller.

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).