Skip to main content

May 2017


May comes at an end today and I couldn't be happier. It started fine because you know, Sense8 came back and season 2 was spectacular but it also broke my heart and I'm hoping we get a third season because otherwise I'll be pissed! Besides that, as a whole, May hasn't been a good month for me. Nothing bad happened but I haven't been in the right mental space. I'm used to May being revision month but this year, I don't know why, I haven't had the motivation I had other semesters. I'm always stressed out but this time around I've also been apathetic and sad. And finals aren't over yet. However, I'm gonna try my best and just beat my own brain.

And as I was stressed out, my reading suffered from it. My rule of reading at least 30 minutes each day went out the window and there were days when I didn't open up a book. But I managed to finish 4 books. 

Dreams of Gods and Monsters was a complete disappointment. And I still don't understand how the story went downhill for me when I liked the first book in the series so much. The other three reads were nice and fun but nothing else to highlight. Am I Normal Yet? deals with a girl who suffers from anxiety disorder and I think the author did a good job with it but I had problems with how the feminism aspect of it was put into the story. So basically the main character and two friends set up a feminist club where they discuss different issues but I wanted that to expand and it never happened. They talked about it with each other but not others, which I wish they had to be honest. 

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman was lovely and a great introduction into the Norse Myths but if you are into it, it might be too simple. And the last book I read this month was My Lady Jane which was what I would call a "good mamarrachada" which is basically a "good ridiculous thing" because that's what it is. The authors flip history over and they add a fantastical element to it: some people can turn into animals. The real story goes as this: Edward VI dies and Lady Jane Grey is crowned queen. She is queen for 9 days and then Mary Tudor cuts her head for treason. Simple as that. Poor Jane was just a pawn in a bigger game and she sadly paid the price. The authors decided to tell a different tale and it is funny indeed. I was expecting it to be hilarious because of some reviews I've read but funny is also good.

For June, I don't have much planned. I'm still studying since my last final is on June 7th but after that, you bet I'm gonna just spend my time RELAXING and trying to make the most of my summer. As for reading plans I wanna get into The Good People by Hannah Kent because it is the last title in my Spring TBR and I wanna read it before picking the 5 titles for my Summer TBR.

What about you? Any special plans?

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).