Skip to main content

Book Review // Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon {Goodreads}
Published by Delta in 1998
Paperback edition; 627 pages {BookDepository}


1945. Claire Randall is in Scotland, enjoying a second honeymoon with her husband Frank Randall after the Second World War, when she touches some standing stones and finds herself in 18th century Scotland. She doesn’t understand what happened to her or why for that matter but she knows she has to survive in a very tumultuous period.

I feel everybody and their mother know already about Outlander, either the books or the TV show and if you don’t, well… have you been living under a rock? I knew about the show even before it premiered because I’m a huge fan of Tobias Menzies (Frank/Jack Randall). However, I watched some episodes first before deciding if I wanted to read the books. I liked what I saw and so when they went into hiatus I told myself I was gonna pick up the book and read it. I didn’t. Until now. And honestly, I’m glad I waited a bit longer.

The craziness that followed the show was insane and of course, with that, comes the hype and I tend to be disappointed by hyped up books. Now though there are both positive and negative reviews and thanks to that I had no expectations whatsoever. And I had a great time reading this. It was beautiful and painful at the same time. It’s very much focused on the characters and their lives so if you like character-driven novels then give it a go. But it does have as well its dose of action, which by the way it’s very well written and thank goodness, not confusing at all.

Regarding the writing style, I have to say I personally enjoyed it because it matches Claire’s personality in my opinion. She’s a very pragmatic woman, quite rational and so it’s the writing style. Sometimes I was confused as to why she wasn’t losing her wits over having travelled to the past –let’s face it, if it had happened to me, I would have completely lost it. It was as if she was very “relaxed” with the situation and keeping a clear head around everything. But that’s how Claire is. Of course there were moments when she collapsed emotionally, I mean she’s human, but for most of the time she kept her cool.

Outlander is not just a historical fiction novel, it’s also a romance and it has a lot of steamy scenes. Gabaldon doesn’t hold back so if you’re not comfortable with explicit sex scenes don’t pick it up. I personally have no problem with those. However, I might say I did have some issues with Claire and Jamie’s relationship. Let’s face it, it isn’t perfect and pretending it to be so it’s problematic in itself. I understand the time period we’re dealing with and I know the image they had of women back then but there were a lot of times when I felt like Jamie was forcing Claire and romanticizing that kind of behaviour would be a huge mistake. There are many moments during the story, not only when they are having sex, when I saw this problematic behaviour and although I did enjoy the book, we can’t leave this out of the conversation. I think it’s important to recognize this for what it is.

All in all, I do recommend this if you enjoy historical fiction, are intrigued about Scotland and don’t mind romance. It is a slow but steady read and I plan to continue reading Claire story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).