Skip to main content

Book Review // The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories by Angela Carter {Goodreads}
Published by Penguin Classics in 2015
75th Anniversary paperback edition; 162 pages {BookDepository}


The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories is a collection of short stories by Angela Carter in which she gave new life to some of the most famous fairytales, mainly Beauty & The Beast.

This was my first time reading anything by Carter and I have to say I was completely blown away by her incredibly powerful and atmospheric language. And what is more important: they are focused on women, on their sexuality and their fierceness. Carter writes bold women, independent, who learn and seek what they desire. It gives such strength to the stories and tinges them with a triumphant tone. And oh how much I liked that!

Carter discusses so many themes: wildness in women, marriage, sexual awakening, decay and transformation and of course, gender. To say the stories are clearly feminists would be an understatement. She writes so right in your face in such a brutal way that is impossible to not feel compel by the stories. She doesn’t hold anything back and the effect she creates is one not easy to forget. And all the while she delights her readers not only with gothic elements that sent chill down my spine but also an evocative writing style that made me picture everything within my mind, from the setting and the characters of each story to the feelings they are experiencing. My favourite stories were Puss-in-Boots, The Lady of the House of Love, The Courtship of Mr. Lyon and The Company of Wolves.

I would highly recommend reading this collection if you enjoy: (1) fairytales or fairytales re-tellings, (2) beautiful writing style and (3) powerful women please pick this up, you won’t regret it. I certainly didn’t and I own another collection by her that I’m dying to sink my teeth into because… you know… awesomeness and all that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).