Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday # 16 (Top Ten Books I Read in 2014)

TOP TEN TUESDAY is a weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

I wasn’t initially gonna participate in this week’s TTT because there is still two weeks of December to go and maybe you can read a favourite in those two weeks but since I’m on a Reading slump (you can read all about it here) I thought why not doing the post anyways and here I am. Here are my top ten favourite books of 2014! One of them is missing from the picture though because I read it as an e-book and even though there are 10 books in the picture two of them are joined together. I’ll explain all in good time, don’t worry.



I noticed the picture was a bit blurry after taking it. I apologise for this but it was freezing outside and I didn't want to take it again so blurry picture it is ;)


10. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. 
Oh, this book gave me all the feels and I had to include it in the list. The way this trilogy ended was brilliant but sad.

9. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. 
This one is not include in the picture because as I said before I read it as an e-book and I haven’t bought the physical book yet. The last book of the Mortal Instruments series was, at least for me, a very nice conclusion. I cried a bit, which is actually a euphemism to say I cried like crazy. It had to make it to the list. Period.

8. The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. 
As the Heroes of Olympus series progresses the story gets darker and more mature which is something I really like. The ending was heart-breaking and heartening at the same time. Rick Riordan knows how to make me feel sad and happy all of a sudden and his dialogues are hilarious.

7. The Archived & The Unbound by Victoria Schwab. 
These two go together because they are both awesome. The story and world Schwab built was so intriguing and unnerving with beautiful and poetical writing. I can’t wait to read the third book.

6. The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. 
Can we take a moment to actually appreciate the beauty of the story told in this book? It was a roller-coaster of emotions and Nico, oh, Nico you are just AWESOME. This forth book is my favourite of the series. 

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. 
This book is unique. What I loved most was that even though it is historical fiction about the II World War it is not focused on the war itself but on the adventures of a lovely girl called Liesel. Oh, and it is narrated by Death, who is indeed quite witty, and it makes the story even more original in my opinion.

4. Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch. 
You knew it was coming! Don’t pretend you didn’t LOL. This book was everything I was looking for. You know the feeling when you are dying to read a book you’ve been waiting like crazy for and you are praying to all gods out there to please make it perfect and then it is? Because that’s exactly how I felt. I was highly anticipating this one and it didn’t let me down. Kudos to Raasch for creating such an amazing fantasy world and I just can’t wait for book 2, you don’t even understand guys.

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 
This dystopian novel is a complete delight for readers. I was scared to read this one to be honest because Dystopia and I have a love/hate relationship but oh boy did this book deliver! It was gripping and action-packed and so cleverly written.

2. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. 
My heart was destroyed after finishing this book. My mother found me crying like crazy and I’m not ashamed to say it because this gave me loads of emotions and it made me think. It was my first Patrick Ness book and is not gonna be my last, that’s for sure.

1. Wonder by R. J. Palacio. 
THE BEST BOOK I’VE READ THIS YEAR. HANDS DOWN! This might be a middle grade book but everybody should read it, no matter the age. It’s such a beautiful and inspiring story about overcoming your fears and growing up and just be yourself no matter what. Palacio did an outstanding job and Wonder is not only my favourite book of 2014 but also one of my favourites of all time. Tears of joy and happiness were all over my face after reading this because well, Auggie was indeed a wonder.


And those are my Top Ten Books I read this year. I can't believe 2014 is gonna be over in two weeks really but I'm dying to see what 2015 has in store in terms of reading. Have you read any of these? What were your favourite reads this year? I wanna know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).