Skip to main content

Hearts to Follow by Dana Burkey






Title: Hearts to Follow
Author: Dana Burkey
Pages (format): 137 pages (e-book)
Publication Date: October 2014
Publisher: Self-published










I received this book from the author, Dana Burkey, in exchange of an honest review. Heart to Follow contains three novellas and I have to say they were cute and highly enjoyable. They were very fast-paced, as novellas normally are, and I honestly had a terrific time reading them. Oh, the three novellas are connected, which I didn't know at the beginning but I loved it anyhow =)






Just Pretending, the first novella was about Cam, a girl who has had a crush on Nick for over a year because they spent a whole summer together hanging out. But then, he's back with his girlfriend and Josh, Cam's friend, makes a plan to get the two together. It was a fun and lovely read. I really liked Josh and how loyal he was to Cam.

Rating: 3.5 deathly hallows






Changed?, the second novella was about a girl named Summer and how she struggled with friends and emotions during her school year. I can really tell more without spoiling a bit. So yeah! I enjoy this one a bit more than I did Just Pretending. I loved Summer because she always made the right decision and she was always true to herself.

Rating: 4 deathly hallows





Stage Lights, the last and third novella focused on Tessa, one of Summer's friends, and this one surprised me greatly. It's true the previous stories were a bit predictable and I thought this one was gonna be as well but no! It didn't end the way I thought it would and I'm happy than Dana Burkey surprised me. Also, as the title says this is focused a bit on the theater and Shakespeare. What can go wrong?

Rating: 4 deathly hallows





The overall rating is 3.8 deathly hallows but I'm just upgrading it to 4 because I had a blast reading them. It was very easy to relate and care for all of the characters even when the novellas were written in 1st person and sometimes that makes me only really care or hate the person who’s telling the story. The three novellas were short and fluffy (in a good way, of course) and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes contemporary novels or just simply wanna read something which is at the same time short and really nice. And again, thank you to Dana for letting me read her novellas.


Final rating:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).