Skip to main content

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Pages: 206 (paperback)
Publication Date: March 12th, 2013
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Want it? BookDepository
Summary:  “At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth”. 





A Monster Calls follows the story about Conor, a 13 year-old boy who is trying to come to terms with her mother’s illness. One night a monster calls to him, demanding something from Conor: the truth. This story is extraordinary, is not just about grief and loss; with a beautiful and poetical writing Patrick Ness crafts this tale about coming to terms with and accepting the aforementioned grief and loss.


Everything about A Monster Calls is deeply captivating. I started it last night and only read 23 pages because I was tired and I wanted to be fully awake to appreciate the story. So this morning I picked it up again and didn’t put it down until I turned the very last page and not because I didn’t have stuff to do – I did actually – but I just couldn’t. The story gripped me and I couldn’t let go. It’s also true that the book is not a big one but with its mere 200 pages manages to get into the reader’s heart and then, shatters it to pieces, both in a good and a bad way. I was a complete wreck after finishing it. I didn’t even notice I was crying while reading after, well, my vision started to get blurry. And after reading the last sentence I just stood there, with the book in my hands, trying to process the beautiful story I’d just finished. And I reread the last few pages over and over again until my mum found me, crying, and by that I mean a really bad case of ugly sobbing, and I’m not embarrassed to say – it’s not the first time she has found me like that, really. So, do you want a piece of advice? Get Kleenex first and don’t read it in public, especially if you are a crier like me. And we need to speak about the illustrations as well because they are a huge part of the reading experience. They basically help bring the story to life and add a disturbing yet fascinating aspect to the whole plot.

Regarding the characters, it was very easy to just feel for them. Conor was a brave kid with such responsibility over his shoulders that it was impossible not to like him. His mother was a true fighter and his grandmother, though she may seem cold and distant was just trying to stay strong for all of them. And the monster? He was powerful and scary but kind and loving at the same time. A true gem of a character, as well as the others.

I can’t say anything bad about this because there isn’t. A Monster Calls is the first book I’ve read by Patrick Ness but it won’t be the last one. The execution of this story was brilliantly done and I’m pretty sure I’ll be thinking about it for days. The last thing I want to say? Do yourself a favour: READ IT, YOU WON’T BE DISAPPOINTED.


My Rating:


Go follow me on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).